Changingday is a game development studio developing VR games for autistic gamers, with a heavy focus on accessibility. We are looking for a talented and experienced UI/UX Designer, ideally with some prior background in games and/or VR, to join our team.
As UI/UX Designer you will play a crucial role on our projects, with responsibility for steering UX research, developing design concepts, contributing to game design, and designing visual interfaces.
You will ensure that we are consistently testing our assumptions and approaches via a formalised design process and research-driven method. You will act as a consistent voice for our target audience throughout the product development process, ensuring that the findings of conducted research in direct engagement with that audience, and established best practice, are considered as paramount at each step.
We are looking for candidates based in or willing to relocate to Scotland, with opportunities for remote working but who are able to travel to our office in Glasgow for meetings and workshops.
As UI/UX Designer you will have a range of key responsibilities, including:
- Conduct UX research including background research, interviews, workshops, and other applicable forms of data capture. Analyse and document results, drawing conclusions and providing guidelines of best practice to inform the design and development of products.
- Design user interfaces for virtual reality games and prototypes, as well as potential mobile and web apps.
- Guide UI/UX design on projects through a proper formalised and industry standard design process. This includes creating and iterating upon user journeys, storyboards, wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes, and effectively communicating your design concepts with confidence.
- Ensure a user-centred design process is followed, with our target audience and applicable research findings considered at every step.
- Deliver design assets and relevant guides to the developers for implementation, and remain engaged in assisting with the best implementation approach.
- Take ownership of the Changingday brand identity and associated guidelines.
- Assist with 2D art and general graphic design tasks when the need arises.
- Attend important industry events and undertake appropriate training.
Expected Qualifications & Experience
Prior industry experience delivering relevant interactive projects is essential. Specifically as guidance the following would generally be expected at a minimum:
- Generally some relevant design orientated qualification expected, but may be waived in place of exceptionally strong industry experience and portfolio of work.
- Minimum 3 years industry experience.
- A strong portfolio of past work, with prior background working with games and/or XR technologies.
- A proven track record of delivering well designed, polished work, to schedule.
Essential skills for this position include:
- Strong working knowledge of relevant design software, preferably Figma (or similar software such as Sketch / Adobe XD with a willingness to learn Figma)
- Experience designing applications for a variety of device types, in particular some background in, and an enthusiastic interest for, designing for XR platforms.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, in particular a strong knowledge of Photoshop essential.
- A strong knowledge of modern design standards and conventions. Up to date with the latest design trends, and able to offer confident guidance and leadership in this area.
- An in-depth understanding of user experience and user-centred design principles.
- Understanding of user psychology, and intuition for how users interact with interactive systems.
- A background in UX research, and experience conducting workshops and studies, documenting research.
- A strong aesthetic instinct, with honed visual design skills.
- A strong ability to clearly communicate design concepts.
- An understanding of how to effectively work with developers, including provision of design assets for implementation.
- Experience planning, directing, and effectively capturing results from user testing sessions.
- Obsessively organised, with all source files and assets consistently well structured and considered, and maintainable.
- Consistent at meeting deadlines.
We look to offer a competitive salary based on experience level, reviewed annually with a guaranteed minimum 5% pay increase.
- A 4-day working week
- A flexible hybrid-remote working style
- 25 days holiday allowance, in addition to Scottish public holidays
- Private health insurance
- EMI shares scheme
- Opportunities for training and professional development
Please include a cover letter and portfolio link when applying. No recruiters please.